Saturday, November 3, 2012

Stereotypes

Before moving to Boston, I didn't know much about the city and it's people... but I can confirm that Boston definitely lives up to it's stereotypes.

1. Crazy Sports fans.

Growing up with an Angels-obsessed brother, I was forced to hate the Red Sox if I wanted his love and respect. Too far? maybe, but just barely. He hates them - deeply. I had encountered Red Sox fans when the Angels played them and they were always the most obnoxious.

Did the stereotype live up? Yep.
I went to a game at Fenway Park; the fans were loud, the fans were drunk, and the fans cheered obnoxiously even when their team lost. And you know what? I kind of loved it
             Boston fans are crazy, but it's a craziness that is kind of fun to be a part of. Don't tell Brad. 
We want to go to a Bruins game (hockey), hopefully we have time to catch one.

please disregard the fact that I am tone-deaf. 

2. Extremely intelligent.

Harvard? MIT? yep. enough said. But, there's more. Everywhere you turn in this city there is another College. Emerson, Suffolk, Northeastern, Boston University, Boston College, UMass Boston, Leslie, Tufts.... the list goes on. It is insane.

3. Funny accents.

Being from California, I obbbbbvviouuslly don't have an accent. I speak how everyone should. Ok, I'm being facetious. My cousins from other states say Californians do have an accent. So I'll concede [even though I still think we speak the best :)]. Not everyone here has that true Boston accent, but when you hear it there is no mistaking it!

A Boston accent takes out the "r" in the middle of the word. "park the car" turns into "pAk the cAr."
But, I heard it said that Bostonians say "you need to die with the same amount of r's."
So when you take the "r" out of the middle of the word, you have to add an "r" to a word that ends in a vowel so "idea" turns into "idear" and "area" turns into "arear."

Given that I studied communication disorders in college, this has been an especially fun one.


4. Hyper-liberal

Although a few people in my office are fellow Romney supporters, they definitely drink the Blue kool-aid out here. The other day I passed a candle light vigil in government center for energy silence.

Despite the fact that I still have a thing for the Red kool-aid, I try not to stick out like an elephant either. Since moving here, I gave up on plastic grocery bags,

         - sidenote: you all should use reusable grocery bags, I've always kind of hated the plastic ones because they're such a waste. And I was the kid that fished them out of the water at the beach. You can hold about 3x more in the reusable kind, and they don't break, and you can carry them over your shoulder. It will change your life. Promise. 

I recycle more (something I've always done but hated that I would have actually had to pay money to get a recycling bin in my Utah apt, how lame is that?!), and I've even been spotted at a Farmer's market.

Don't worry I still shave my legs. Even though I've seen a few girls here who don't.


Although I've found these funny stereotypes to often be true, I had an experience today while sitting at the Prudential Center, eating Pinkberry, and people watching, that made me remember we shouldn't be so quick to judge negatively but should always try to give people a positive benefit of the doubt.

Happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Just tried out reusable shopping bags yesterday and they really are amazing! I only needed two for my grocery shopping and I still had room! And they don't break!

    ReplyDelete