Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Commas.

DISCLAIMER: I have a horrible comma problem. I almost always put them in the wrong spot.
                         Semicolons? forget about them. I don't even try.
My English teacher recently cleared up a comma rule that I had always been confused about so I thought I'd share.
             
When making a list, it is always debated if you put a comma before that last and. Is it:
    1. Today I need to go to class, watch the Bachelor, grade some papers, and teach my lab OR
    2. Today I need to go to class, watch the Bachelor, grade some papers and teach my lab?

According to the new APA style guide #1 is correct! At least I will now have one comma rule down. If you want to know the reasoning I can tell you, but I didn't want to bore you. Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment